Thursday, 13 October 2016

CONTEXTUALIZING POVERTY


 
Its day 2 of the Activista forum in Bangladesh, am getting accustomed to the diversity among the participants and in times like this one begins to appreciate the richness of the different perspectives people bring on board reflecting their different contexts.
 
As the Activista Nigeria Focal Person, I am representing Activista Nigeria in a Forum in Dhaka Bangladesh. Activista coordinators from the Global movement have been brought together for technical discussions to shape the structure of the Activista movement and make input to ActionAid’s new Strategy.
 
After the day’s sessions, I had a first opportunity to explore the city of Dhaka, and take in the beautiful scenery. As I drifted away from the heart of the town, my first thoughts were a feeling of déjà vu, I have seen this before in parts –crowded streets, dilapidated structures, and a throng of young people hanging in the corners.
 
Mentally, I found myself reflecting on the discussions we had in one of our sessions on poverty. Refreshingly we paid little attention to classical definitions. In all honesty, the more I read theories and professional opinions on poverty, the more I disconnect with the realities and lose sight of the real picture.
 
To properly understand the meaning of poverty, we needed to put away our Civil Society Organizations (CSO) lenses, and attempt to see the world in the eyes of the common man. Understanding poverty requires an appreciation of the feelings and emotions which poverty elicits. It requires connecting with the sufferings and hurt that people living in poverty feel.
 
Poverty is not just the alienation of one’s rights; it’s that feeling of powerlessness when one is unable to claim her/his rights. Poverty is not just the inability to secure three square meals per day, it is that hunger, frustration and depression that it generates. 
 
It is that helplessness you get when you are unable to feed your children. It is that feeling of unfulfillment and despair that hunts you when you watch your children die of treatable diseases.
 
Poverty is that anger that drives you onto the streets in protests against a failing government, regardless of the fear of victimization, physical harm, imprisonment or even death. Yes, poverty is that voice that threatens to take away your hope and sanity.
 
Poverty is that clarion call for solidarity and brotherhood. The world must unite to fix this wrong committed by the powerful few.
 
Viva Activista! Aluta continua!

No comments:

Post a Comment